Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Well, I know you can't work in fast food all your life...

I try to be extremely cautious using the term "sell out". Others use the term very loosely. It refers to when a band changes its style, sound, image, etc. that attracts new fans, makes them a ton of money, launches them to mainstream media, and alienates original/hardcore followers.

I know what to look for, but who am I to judge (that's right, labeling someone a "sell out" is a judgement call and prone to human emotions and fallacies) which bands are sell outs and which ones stumbled into success when they chose a new direction to take their music in.

However, I do feel confident pointing out some of the more obvious ones...

Carlos Santana has been around for nearly 30 years. A guitar legend. But a single duet with Rob Thomas wins him 9 grammies, and he uses the "duets with other musicians" strategery on his next two albums.

It gets worse. Santana's just a speck of dirt compared to the mud clump that is Smashmouth. They spun their first hit "Walkin' on the Sun" into a career of whoring themselves out for any and all commercial promotions and financial gain. A cover of "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby" for "Can't Hardly Wait". A cover of "I'm a Believer" for "Shrek". No originality there. Give them a song and a fistful of dollars, and they'll do it.

But the worst offender? Destiny's Child. I don't believe for one second that they eat at McDonald's or shop at Wal-Mart. No way. And I think still appearing in commercials together is a total sham. They aren't together anymore. And I doubt that Beyonce is hard up enough for money to show up in a few spots. She has Jay-Z.

Fin.

No comments:

All page content ©PFritz21.NET 2004-2010