Saturday, May 23, 2009

Don't do me like that...

9 home runs and it's still May? 9 home runs in only 21 games? 9 home runs, after a kindey blockage and back problems since the end of the 2008 season?

God, please don't tease me... But can this really be true?

Look, I had my doubts about Joe Mauer ever since he became Minnesota's starting catcher. I loved A. J. Pierzynski. He was clutch. I hated to see him go to San Francisco. And I thought too many people in the Upper Midwest were doting on Joe because he was a local boy. Overestimated. Practically treating him like a savior. Bringing Joe up, in Spring Training, with no one behind him, was a mistake. Those concerns became much greater when Mauer was hurt in the 2nd game of the 2004 season and again later that same summer.

Even if Joe finishes with only 30 home runs this year (and remain healthy the whole time)... I'll take back everything I said about this guy. I just don't want to get my hopes up; I've been disappointed by too many men before him.

No comments:

All page content ©PFritz21.NET 2004-2010