Wednesday, November 24, 2004

If I were a rich man

Things to do with my Linux box (when I have it):
-- Web server. Apache. Get away from POS Geocities.
-- Database. MySQL and PHPMyAdmin. Store records on my baseball cards and music. Tie it into my web site.
-- File server. Mostly for backup purposes.
-- Jukebox. Although with the iTunes I got, a Mac would probably be an easier option. (Side note: Mac OS X runs on top of BSD, a *nix offshoot. I don't know what I'm talking about in that last sentence, but yet I do. One of those things I can't explain, but it still makes some sense to me.)
-- PVR. I ain't paying for no TiVo subscription.
-- MAME cabinet. Would be easier to do with Windows. But Linux would save me from using a precious CD-Key.
-- Development. I'd waste all of the extra cycles running thousands of pointless simulations of my Java programs. Why? Because I can.
-- Install, install, INSTALL!! Just keep reformatting, compiling, and building different Distros. Find one I like. Recommend it.

Today is November. The 3 year mark on my current PC is August 2005. That's 9 months. I'll be in the Twin Cities in early June. So that would be a convenient time for me to go to General Nanosystems, where I got my current PC. Get one for me. Install Win XP on it. Reformat my current machine and put Linux on it. Get one for my dad. Get back my Dell P3-450. Use it as a beta machine while I build a MAME cabinet. Buy a new laptop. Keep the cheap, old one I got in the Phoenix surplus auction. Buy a Power Mac G5. Then find a way to get a hold of my sister's Compaq. That would give me 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7! Seven computers <Insert the Count's laugh here>! Hmm. I don't think that will be enough. Oh, and wireless cards for most. A few 17" monitors (including 1 LCD). Keyboards and mice. Laser printer. Digital camera. iPod.

Hmmm... Can you loan me 10 G's?

No comments:

All page content ©PFritz21.NET 2004-2010